Chocolate dump cake is a quick, easy to make and rich chocolate dessert. This chocolate dump cake recipe is made from moist chocolate cake mix, creamy chocolate pudding and sweet chocolate chips. Top this decadent chocolate pudding dump cake with cold vanilla ice cream for the perfect dessert.
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I love a good cake mix dump cake recipe. They’re, quick, easy to make and feed a crowd. A few of my favorites on the blog are my Cherry Dump Cake, Pineapple Dump Cake, Strawberry Dump Cake and Lemon Dump Cake. I am so excited to add this chocolate dump cake to the blog. I know you’ll love it because:
- Quick to make, easy to bake. This dump cake with chocolate cake mix uses just a handful of ingredients to make. All you have to do is dump, stir to slightly mix, top with chocolate chips, bake and enjoy!
- A simple dessert for the chocolate lover. This rich, moist and chocolate filled dump cake has three different kinds of chocolate. Top this cake mix chocolate cobbler with cold vanilla (or chocolate) ice cream and you have the perfect dessert for the chocolate lover in your life.
This easy and delicious chocolate dump cake recipe requires only a handful of ingredients to make and is as simple as dumping a few ingredients into a pan and baking it.
Gather chocolate cake mix, instant chocolate pudding, melted butter, whole milk, espresso powder and chocolate chips.
This chocolate pudding cake is meant to be quick, easy and use simple pantry basics. Here are my recommended substitutions for this recipe if you need them:
- Box Chocolate Cake Mix: I prefer using boxed chocolate cake mix to make this chocolate pudding dump cake super easy.
- Chocolate Pudding Mix: For this chocolate chip dump cake, I use jello chocolate pudding mix to get the best chocolate flavor.
- Melted Butter: Feel free to use any butter you like. For dump cake recipes, salted or unsalted butter works perfectly.
- Milk: This recipe works best with whole milk. Make your own whole milk by mixing 1 ½ cups half and half with ½ cup water.
- Espresso Powder: This is my secret ingredient to make chocolate taste even more rich and chocolate-y. Feel free to omit if you need to.
- Chocolate Chips: Use your preferred brand of chocolate chips. I recommend using semi sweet or milk chocolate to ensure the chips melt while baking. The contrast of the melty chocolate with the soft and gooey chocolate pudding cake is perfection.
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake: Use the recipe for my Cherry Dump Cake with a few tweaks. Prepare the cherry dump cake recipe according to the recipe directions. Omit the almond extract and sliced almonds. Instead of using white cake mix, use chocolate cake mix. Sprinkle 1 cup (170 g) chocolate chips on top of the cake mix in place of the sliced almonds.
How To Make
Learn how to make chocolate dump cake in a few easy steps.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Mix the melted and slightly cooled (to warm) butter with the milk and espresso powder, if using. If the butter clumps together with the milk, heat the mixture in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring after each increment until the milk and butter evenly mix together. Set aside.
- Lightly grease a 9 x9, 11 x 7 or 9 x 13 inch baking dish using a tablespoon of butter. Evenly spread the chocolate cake mix across the baking pan. Top with the chocolate pudding mix. Make sure to spread the mix evenly across the pan.
- Evenly pour the milk and butter mixture across the chocolate cake mix and pudding layers. Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined with no big clumps of dry ingredients. Top the chocolate cake with chocolate chips.
4. Bake the chocolate dump cake for 35 - 45 minutes. Cool the chocolate cake mix cobbler for 10 -15 minutes, scoop into a bowl, top with ice cream if you like and enjoy!
How To Freeze and Store and Serve
- Store: Transfer any leftover chocolate dump cake into an airtight container to store in the fridge for up to 3 - 4 days.
- Freeze: Make and bake the cake according to the pudding dump cake recipe directions and cool completely. Wrap the entire dish in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Store the dump cake dessert in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat the dump cake in the oven at 325 F (177 C) for 15 minutes or until warmed through.
- The best way to serve this chocolate pudding cake is warm from the oven with a big scoop of cold vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream on top!
M’s Expert Tips
- Grease the bottom and sides of the baking dish with about 1 tablespoon (14 g) softened butter.
- Mix just to combine. Just like mixing a chocolate cake, mix the dry and wet ingredients until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Let the cake rest, but not for too long. Give this brownie dump cake about 10 - 15 minutes to rest and cool slightly and then serve. This cake will still be delicious after this time, but the gooey, melty chocolate will have started to set up again.
For the cake mix and pie filling cake to truly be called a dump cake, the one thing you should not do is mix the ingredients. The ease and beauty of dump cake desserts is that the literal dumping of all the ingredients into a pan in a certain order and baking.
Yes, dump cakes made with fruit or without fruit are meant to be stored in the fridge.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes to Try
If you try this Chocolate Dump Cake recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking!
Chocolate Dump Cake Recipe
- 1 9x9 or 11x7 or 9x13 baking dish
- 1 microwave safe cup or bowl
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups (474 ml) whole milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder, optional
- 15.25 oz. chocolate cake mix
- 5.1 oz. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups (340 g, 12 oz.) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Mix the melted and slightly cooled (to warm) butter with the milk and espresso powder, if using. If the butter clumps together with the milk, heat the mixture in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring after each increment until the milk and butter evenly mix together. Set aside.½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, 2 cups (474 ml) whole milk, room temperature, 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder, optional
- Lightly grease an oven safe baking dish using a tablespoon (14 g) of butter. Evenly spread the chocolate cake mix across the baking pan. Top with the chocolate pudding mix. Make sure to spread the mix evenly across the pan.15.25 oz. chocolate cake mix, 5.1 oz. instant chocolate pudding mix
- Evenly pour the milk and butter mixture across the chocolate cake mix and pudding layers. Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined with no big clumps of dry ingredients. Top the chocolate cake with chocolate chips.2 cups (340 g, 12 oz.) chocolate chips
- Bake the chocolate dump cake for 35 - 45 minutes. Cool the chocolate cake mix cobbler for 10 -15 minutes.Scoop into a bowl, top with ice cream if you like and enjoy!