its the week of American Thanksgiving and if you’re anything like me, you’re scrambling to get everything ready for the big meal. the last thing you need is another something take up precious oven space! this no bake citrus cheesecake with cranberry compote is the perfect last minute holiday dessert. it’s full of festive holiday flavor, is super fast to make and allows the fridge to do all the work! in short, this is my kind of holiday dessert!
in a few words, this citrus cheesecake is:
- no bake
- super quick and easy to make
- makes the perfect last minute holiday dessert
what ingredients are needed to make this no bake cheesecake?
- chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos)
- unsalted butter
- lemon or orange extract
- heavy whipping cream
- cream cheese
- granulated sugar
- powdered sugar
- orange juice
- greek yogurt
- fresh or frozen cranberries
- cornstarch or other thickener of choice
from these ingredients you will make the citrus oreo cookie crust, no bake citrus filling and the citrus cranberry compote.
what baking tools are needed to make this no bake citrus cheesecake?
- stand mixer with paddle attachment
- or hand mixer with beaters
- 9″ springfrom pan
- other options: 9″ cake pan or 9×9 pan for bars
- medium sized skillet
- for making the strawberry sauce
- food processor
- to make the pretzel crust
- or plastic bag and lots of manual crushing
- parchment paper
- to line the pan
- plastic wrap and foil
- to cover the cheesecake while it freezes
how to make a stunning no bake cheesecake
- read through the recipe before starting
- from making the sauce, using room temperature ingredients and freezing the cheesecake, it takes time! make sure you allow enough time for each step
- use correct temperature ingredients
- room temperature cream cheese is still very slightly chilled, but a finger pressed into the center easily makes an impression
- melted butter should be slightly cooled
- heavy cream should be chilled for the best whip
- for a smooth filling
- use room temperature cream cheese
- scrape the sides as needed for a uniformly smooth texture
- plan the serving time accordingly
- the cranberry compote should be chilled or at room temperature for serving
- for the cleanest cut, use a long sharp knife
- run under warm water prior to each cut and wipe after each cut
can I substitute this for that?
the best ingredients substitutes for this no bake citrus cheesecake
- fresh or frozen cranberries : use frozen berries, raspberries or blackberries
- granulated sugar : maple sugar
- powdered sugar : use granulated sugar or maple sugar
- cream cheese : a good replacement is mascarpone cheese
- heavy whipping cream : use a pre whipped cream topping like cool whip
other holiday desserts to try
- easy maple brownie pie
- maple pecan pie brownies
- maple mascarpone cheesecake
- cranberry pear crumble tart
- bergamot lemon curd tart
- chocolate sumac ganache tart
- cranberry curd gingersnap tart
no bake citrus cheesecake
- 9" springform pan
- stand mixer with paddle attachment or electric hand mixer with beaters
- small pot or sauce pan
Oreo cookie crust
- 30 Oreo cookies, crushed makes about 2 c when crushed
- 6-8 tbsp (85-113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp orange zest from about 1 medium orange
- 1/2 tsp orange or lemon extract
Citrus Cheesecake Filling
- 1 c (237ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 24 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 c (150g) granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tbsp (15g) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp orange zest from about 1 medium orange
- 1/4 c (59ml) freshly squeezed orange juice use the two oranges from the zest
- 1/4 c greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5ml) orange or lemon extract
Citrus Cranberry Compote
- 2 c fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 c (150g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 c (118ml) water
- 1/4 c (59ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or other thickener of choice
- Line the bottom (and sides if preferred) of a 9” springform pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease the sides with a very small amount of melted butter. Set aside.
- Pulse the Oreo cookies in a food processor until a crumb like texture. Pulse in 6 tbsp melted butter until the mixture sticks together. If needed, add in 1-2 additional tbsp butter. The crumbs should stick together when pressed together.
- Press the crust into the bottom of the prepared pan. If desired, press the crust about 1/2” up the sides as well. Chill in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Whip the chilled heavy cream and 1/4 c of sugar in a mixing bowl until medium firm peaks form, about 5-6 minutes on medium-high speed. Scoop out into another bowl.
- In the same bowl used to whip the cream (no need to completely clean), with the paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese, remaining sugars and orange zest. Cream on medium speed until the mixture is smooth with no lumps. Add in the orange juice, greek yogurt and extract. Cream together on medium speed until smooth and well incorporated. Scrape down the sides as needed. Taste the cream cheese mixture and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Make sure not to deflate the air in the whipped cream.
- Pour the citrus cream cheese filling into the prepared crust. Smooth the filling across the pan. Cover the entire pan with plastic wrap or foil. Chill in the fridge for 12 hours – overnight.
- Prepare the cranberry compote 1 day to 2-3 hours in advance of serving. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the orange juice and cornstarch until well combined. In a medium sauce pan, bring the cranberries, water and sugar to a boil over medium high heat. Stir in the orange juice mixture. Cook at a gentle boil until the cranberries have started to “pop,” and the mixture has thickened to nicely coat the back of a spoon, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat, pour into a heat proof bowl and cool to room temperature. Chill in the fridge at least 30-60 minutes before topping the cheesecake.
- To serve: Remove the sides of the spring form pan. Serve from the pan or carefully transfer the cheesecake to a serving plate. Right before serving, spoon the cranberry compote directly onto the cheesecake. Alternatively, spoon the cranberry compote on top each slice of cheesecake right before serving.
love this recipe?!
let others know by leaving a rating in the recipe + comment below