This Pumpkin Muffins from Cake Mix recipe is a quick and very easy recipe to make this classic fall treat. These cake mix muffins are made from spice cake mix, an entire can of pumpkin and vanilla extract. For even more flavor, you can add pumpkin spice and a spiced brown sugar topping. If you have 30 minutes, a mixing bowl and a spoon, you can make these delicious pumpkin muffins.
Why Should You Make This Recipe?
It’s no secret that I love using dry cake mix as a base for baking everything from cobblers, like my Lemon Cake Mix Cookies, Peach Cobbler with Cake Mix and Apple Cobbler from Cake Mix to brownies, like my Brownies from Cake Mix. This spiced pumpkin muffin recipe is another delicious and super easy baked treat I know you're going to love.
- Only 2 ingredients. These cake mix pumpkin muffins are made using only two ingredients - spice cake mix and canned pumpkin. For more flavor, I like to add in a splash of vanilla extract, a few dashes of pumpkin spice and a brown sugar topping. Ok, technically, the muffins are now 4 or 5 ingredients, but the lighter version uses only 2.
- Quick and easy to make. This muffin recipe comes together in five minutes using one bowl and a spoon. If you decide to add the spiced brown sugar topping, it’s two bowls. With a 15 - 20 minute baking time, these pumpkin muffins are ready to eat in under 30 minutes.
- Tons of flavor and texture. These spiced pumpkin muffins are moist, soft and fluffy, with lots of sweet spicy flavor from the cake mix and the added pumpkin spice. The vanilla extract adds a nice scent and flavor boost. While the spiced brown sugar topping adds a delicious crunch. It’s the perfect contrast of textures and flavors.
This Pumpkin from Cake Mix Recipe requires only two ingredients, (plus a few more optional ones) to make and you probably already have them in your house!
These pumpkin muffins are the very definition of quick and easy. Here are my recommended substitutions to make these simple fall treats:
- Box Spice Cake Mix: Use yellow cake mix, vanilla cake mix or even chocolate cake mix. To get the spiced flavor, I recommend adding 2 -3 teaspoons ground pumpkin spice or a blend of spices (2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, ½ tsp ground nutmeg and ½ ground cloves).
- Canned Pumpkin: This replaces oil or butter and eggs in this cake mix pumpkin muffin recipe. Canned pumpkin can’t be replaced in this recipe. Make sure to use plain canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: This adds a lovely background flavor to the pumpkin muffins, but is optional. Omit if needed.
- Brown Sugar Topping: This is completely optional and can be omitted if needed.
- Optional Add-ins: Chocolate chips would be an excellent addition to the muffins. Mix in 1-1½ cups after mixing the spice cake and pumpkin.
How To Make
These spice cake pumpkin muffins are ready in as little as 25 minutes, using a few ingredients. Grab a bowl and a spoon or spatula and let’s make them!
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a 12 ct. muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside. In a small bowl mix the brown sugar with 1 teaspoon ground pumpkin spice until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the spice cake mix, an entire can of pumpkin, vanilla extract and another teaspoon of pumpkin spice.
- Mix until well combined with no dry cake mix showing.
- Scoop the pumpkin cake mix muffins into the prepared muffin pan. Top with the spiced brown sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 15 - 20 minutes. Cool the pumpkin muffins in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove them from the pan to cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy the muffins warm from the oven or at room temperature.
How To Store, Freeze, Thaw and Serve
- To store leftover pumpkin muffins: These nearly 2- ingredient pumpkin muffins store well in an airtight container for up to one week.
- To freeze leftover pumpkin spice muffins: Wrap each muffin cooled muffin in plastic wrap. Place each wrapped muffin into a freezer safe, airtight container (like a ziplock bag). Store in the freezer for up to three months.
- To thaw a frozen muffin: Allow the muffins to thaw at room temperature for a couple of hours or thaw overnight in the fridge. Heat the muffins up in the microwave in 30 second intervals until they are your desired temperature.
- To Serve: Serve these pumpkin and spice cake mix muffins warm with a dollop of butter or nut butter spread. Leave off the brown sugar topping and serve with cream cheese frosting to make these easy cake mix muffins into easy pumpkin cupcakes.
M's Expert Tips
- Only use the ingredients listed in the recipe. Think of the box cake mix and any additional spices as the “dry ingredients” and the pumpkin and vanilla extract as the “wet ingredients.”
- Pumpkin puree replaces the other wet ingredients. Don’t be tempted to add eggs, milk, oil or butter to the mix. The batter will be thick, more like a drop biscuit, but the batter will bake into a wonderfully moist pumpkin muffin.
- Mix the canned pumpkin and cake mix well. The batter is thick and it can be easy to miss spots of dry cake mix. Continue to mix the batter until no patches of dry cake mix are left.
- Don’t over bake the pumpkin muffins. Since this muffin recipe uses only spice cake mix and canned pumpkin, it is important not to over bake the muffins. Check the muffins after 15 minutes using a toothpick inserted into the center. If the toothpick comes out with wet batter, bake for an additional 2 -3 minutes. If it comes out with a few moist crumbs, it is finished baking.
The pumpkin acts as a moisturizer and binder in this recipe which means there is no need for eggs, oil or butter.
They are the same thing. Whether the pumpkin is called “pure” or “100%” or “solid pack,” it is considered pumpkin puree. This is different from pumpkin pie filling which has sugar and spices added to the pumpkin.
Absolutely! Use a gluten free cake mix such as Betty Crocker or Simple Mills.
Yes you can! Use a vegan and dairy free cake mix. Since the pumpkin acts as a replacement for the eggs and butter (or oil), these easy pumpkin muffins are easily made vegan and dairy free.
Other Pumpkin Recipes To Try
- Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Glazed Pumpkin Pound Cake
- Spiced Apple Pumpkin Bread
- Maple Pumpkin Coffee Cake (Vegan)
If you try this Pumpkin Muffins from Cake Mix Recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking! Happy Baking! -M
Pumpkin Muffins from Cake Mix Recipe
- 12 muffin liners
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 small mixing bowl, optional
- 1 spoon or flaxible spatula
- ½ cup (100 g) brown sugar optional
- 2 tsp (6 g) pumpkin spice, divided optional
- 1 15.25 oz spice cake mix
- 1 15 oz. canned pumpkin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Line a 12 ct. muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar with 1 teaspoon ground pumpkin spice until well combined.½ cup (100 g) brown sugar, 2 tsp (6 g) pumpkin spice, divided
- In a large mixing bowl combine the spice cake mix, an entire can of pumpkin, vanilla extract and another teaspoon of pumpkin spice. Mix until well combined with no dry cake mix showing. The batter will be thick, similar to the consistency of drop biscuits.1 15.25 oz spice cake mix, 1 15 oz. canned pumpkin, 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- Scoop the pumpkin cake mix muffins into the prepared muffin pan. Top with the spiced brown sugar if using. Lightly press the sugar topping into the top of the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins for 15 - 20 minutes. Cool the pumpkin muffins in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove them from the pan to cool to room temperature on a cooling rack. Enjoy!