need a last minute treat for v-day? i got you! as an added bonus- you probably already have all the ingredients you need in your pantry. as you’ve probably guessed by the recipe name, you’ll need:
- unsalted butter, browned
- mini marshmallows
- rice cereal
- freeze dried raspberries
- vanilla extract + salt
so yeah, that’s it. trust me, these are 1000 better than anything you’ll buy in the store and from start to “bar in your mouth”, is less than an hour. these bars also happen to be super kid friendly and naturally gluten free. i literally cannot think of an easier, last minute, homemade treat.
now, for the flavor profile: its buttery, sweet, tart, gooey and crispy. basically, these little bars check all the boxes when it comes to flavor. not a “baker?” no worries, the only thing you have to be able to do is melt some butter and some marshmallows. the rest is just stirring to incorporate everything. press the filling into a cake pan and leave it to set. slice and eat.
a few tips …
- if browning the butter feels intimidating, you can just melt the butter. browning it gives it a slightly nutty taste which i love, but it doesn’t change the overall texture or structure
- mini marshmallows melt better, so if you only have the jumbo ones, its worth cutting them into smaller pieces
- you can just any rice cereal you like. i went with the classic Rice Krispie brand, but really any works great
- freeze dried raspberries were used in this, but you can use strawberries, blueberries, really any fruit as long as it has been freeze dried
- these were prepared in a 9X13 non stick cake pan, but you can cut the recipe in half and use an 8X8
- resist the urge to press the marshmallows too much as you’re dropping them into the pan. if you want to keep some of the whole pieces of marshmallows visible, drop even spoonfuls around the pan and fill in the gaps as needed. use your fingers to gently spread to the edges and corners
- make them extra by adding a drizzle of melted white chocolate and another 1/2 c freeze dried raspberries to the top about 15 minutes after the marshmallows are pressed into the pan
brown butter and raspberry marshmallow treats
- large heavy bottom pan
- 9X13 cake pan
- parchment paper
- spatula or non stick spoon to stir
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, browned
- 6 c rice cereal
- 7 c mini marshmallows, divided
- 2 c freeze dried raspberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Line baking pan/dish with parchment paper. Set aside. Reserve 1 c of mini marshmallows for adding at the end.
- To make the brown butter, melt butter in a clear heavy bottom pot. Once the butter starts to foam, whisk continuously until brown bits start to form. Once the brown bits form, add marshmallows to the pot, reduce heat to medium-low. Stir with a spatula until the marshamallows are fully and evenly melted. Add vanilla extract, salt, stir to combine well. Add the cereal, stirring continuously while adding a cup or cereal at a time . Stir to combine well. Stir in freeze dried raspberries until well combines. Add reserved cup of mini marshamllows. Stir just to combine, but be careful not to over mix as you will lose the whole pieces of marshmallows.
- Scoop mixture evenly into prepared baking pan/dish. Press just enough to evenly distribute the mixture into the dish. Pressing too much will deflate the whole pieces of marshmallows.Use fingers to work the marshmallow treats to the edges/corners as needed. Allow 20-30 minutes for marshamllow treats to set. Cut and enjoy!
did you make this recipe?
tag @olivesnthyme on instagram
love this recipe?
let others know by leaving a rating in the recipe + comment below!