hello december! now i know its technically cookie season, BUT i love all things gingerbread. its easily one of my favorite holiday treats so it gets top billing this time of year. at some point I’ll get in the cookie mood, but for now its all about these spicy, sweet, chewy and incredibly delicious blondie bars!
gingerbread blondie bars
- stand mixer with paddle attachment
- parchment paper
- 8×8 baking pan
- 2 c all purpose flour (240g)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (2g)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1g)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- zest of one medium lemon
- 1/2 c unsalted butter (113g), browned and cooled to room tempertature (85-87g)
- 1/2 c packed light brown sugar (110g)
- 1/2 c sugar (110g)
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste alt. use vanilla extract
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger, to taste
- 4 oz white chocolate, melted
- To make the brown butter, melt butter in a clear heavy bottom pot. Once the butter starts to foam, whisk continuously until brown bits start to form. Remove from heat, pour into clean bowl, skim the foam from the top and cool to room temperature (20-25 minutes).
- Line 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350F. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat browned butter, sugars and molasses until smooth and well combined. Add eggs and vanilla paste, beating well after each one until well combined. Careful not to overbeat.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet 1/2 batch at a time. Slowly stir each time until JUST combined. A few flour streaks is okay! Drop evenly sized scoops into the prepared pan. Evenly press batter/dough into the pan. Sprinkle with the ginger sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 28-33 minutes. Center will look slightly under baked, but toothpick should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Pull from the oven, and allow to cool min. 30 minutes. Top with mleted white chocolate once cooled.