when i was last at the grocery store, i stumbled upon some beautiful carrots with…..their TOPS still attached!! for some strange reason, this isn’t very common where i live. it seems most people prefer topless carrots. but, the tops are just as delicious and versatile as the actual carrot itself. so, i bought a few bundles and went on my way. when i arrived home, all i could think about was roasting the carrots and making a sweet/spicy dressing to top them with. then i remembered an amazing, “clean out the fridge” meal from Bon Appetit which included a wonderful herb filled vinaigrette. since the carrots were a spur of the moment purchase, i swapped the herbs for the carrot tops, found some burrata and harissa and voila (!!)
this dish itself is pretty straight forward and almost feels silly to write a formal recipe for. you can make seemingly endless substitutions to meet your flavor and dietary preferences, so use the given recipe as more of a guideline. i firmly believe that when cooking, the recipes are mostly a guideline and you should absolutely play around! -megs
a few easy substitutions + tips
- maple syrup for honey
- parsley, finely chopped kale or spinach for the carrot tops
- vegan cheeses for the burrata (just make sure its a brand you love served warm or at room temperature)
- chili flakes to taste for the harissa
- any vinegar of your choice for the red wine ( lemon juice would also be delicious)
- use a good quality, fruity olive oil
- feel free to leave the carrot skins on if you wish. just make sure to throughouly scrub and wash them before roasting
honey roasted carrots with burrata and a harissa carrot top vinaigrette
- baking sheet
- 1-2 lbs carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 6 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2.5 tbsp honey, divided
- 1 bunch carrot tops, finely chopped (sub with parsely)
- 2-3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced and made into a paste
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, optiional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz fresh burrata (sub mozzarella, nut cheeses, or bocconcini)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchemnt paper. Toss prepared carrots on baking sheet with 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp honey, salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 400 F for 30-35 minutes or until tender and nicely browned.
- While the carrots are roasting, combine all remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- When carrots are done, remove from the oven. Plate on a serving plate, top with burrata. Drizzle prepared dressing right before serving.
did you make this recipe?
tag @olivesnthyme on instagram
love this recipe?!
let others know by leaving a rating in the recipe + comment below