mid july. it’s hot. like really hot. center of the sun HOT! summer in texas is no joke. as a native texan, it can be assumed i have acclimated to this insane heat. I haven’t. for those who you who brave long, intense winters, this is what its like during summers in texas. it is relentless and never-ending. it’s long been a dream of mine to relocate to a milder climate for the summer months. but, since that’s not happening anytime soon, I’ll just eat my weight in delicious no churn ice cream. specifically this no churn tahini ice cream.
things i love about this no churn tahini ice cream:
- uses a handful of ingredients
- super easy to make
- tahini + chocolate (so delicious )
- minimal heating required (just melting chocolate)
- lots of textures and flavors
- halva (a tahini based candy)
this ice cream has been forming in my mind for months. friends, it does not disappoint! this is easily one of the most delicious no churn ice creams I have made. ever. this no churn tahini ice cream is:
- full of crunchy strands of chocolate tahini ganache
- reminiscent of a grown-up pb + chocolate ice cream
- easily devoured in no time
its all about the layers of flavor!
no churn tahini base
this no churn base is super easy to assemble. the base is made from:
- one can of sweetened condensed milk
- one pint of heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup of tahini
it comes together within minutes and is sure to lead to eating it by the spoonful straight from the bowl!
chocolate tahini ganache
magically delicious things happen when chocolate meets tahini. if you’re a fan of pb + chocolate, this is for you. the process for this step is really simple. just combine chocolate chips (or small evenly chopped pieces of chocolate), butter and tahini in a bowl. melt and stir well to combine. this is best done on a double boiler.
- combine all the ingredients in a heat proof bowl
- place the bowl over a small pot filled with 1-2″ of water
- bring the water to a slight boil
- place the heat proof bowl on top
- allow the steam from the water to gently melt the chocolate, butter and tahini
- frequently stir as the chocolate melts
- stir well to combine and remove from heat
voila! tahini ganache! technically this can be made in the microwave. but, i find it’s easier to ensure a smooth tahini ganache when done over a double boiler.
halva is candy made from sesame paste (tahini) and sugar. the texture is a bit crumbly. think of it as a crumbly, nutty fudge! my hands down favorite halva is from seed+mill. I’ve tried many kinds and theirs is still the best. Trader Joe’s has recently started carrying halva, too! check the international section of the nearest well stocked grocery store. of course, you can always make your own! this recipe from epicurious has several variations that look so delicious!
tips for a great no churn ice cream
as the name implies, no churn is needed. but, you will still need an electric or stand mixer. or really powerful arm muscles!
- mix ingredients at the same temperature
- whip the heavy cream to medium stiff peaks
- fold, don’t stir when mixing
- make the topping/mix-ins first
- work toppings in layers
- pie pans, loaf pans, cake pans and large ceramic bowls work great for containers (just make sure its freezer friendly and at least 6oz capacity)
- mix any other “liquids,” like the tahini in with the sweetened condensed milk
- fold 1/2 whipped cream in with sweetened condensed milk
- fold remaining 1/2 whipped cream. trying to have a light touch to keep the air!
- freeze uncovered for at least 4-5 hours to set
- for longer freezer storage, freeze for 4 hours and then cover in plastic wrap and foil
need more tahini?! try these tahini recipes!
no churn tahini ice cream
- electric or stand mixer
- double boiler or microwave
- 6 c capcity or more freezer friendly container (ie, loaf pan, pie or cake pan)
- 1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
no churn tahini ice cream base
- 2/3 c tahini, well stirred
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (vanilla extract)
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c halva, crumbled (up to 1 c)
- Combine all ingreidents in a heat proof bowl. Pour 1-2" water into a small to medium sized pot. Heat water over medium high heat. Once the water starts to come to a simmer, place the bowl with the ganache ingredients on top of the pot with simmering water (double boiler). Fully melt the ingredients, stirring to combine. Whisk until all the chocolate has melted and the tahini and butter has been fully mixed in. Remove from heat and set aside. If the ganache hardens too much before mixing into the ice cream, heat in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
tahini ice cream base
- Pour heavy whipping cream into a mixing bowl. Beat on medium high speed until medium firm peaks form, about 7-8 minutes.
- In a seperate bowl, stir the sweetened condensed milk and tahini together until well combined
- Fold 1/2 of the sweetened tahini mixture into the whipped cream. Fold until mostly combined. Once combined, fold in the remaining 1/2 tahiini mixture.
- Pour 1/2 of the tahini ice cream base into the freezer proof container.. Drizzle 1/2 of the tahini ganache. Swirl the ganache using a knife or backend of a spoon or fork, Crumble 1/2 of the halva on top. Repeat a second layer using the remaining tahini ice cream base, ganache and halva.
- Freeze for 4-5 hours uncovered. If storing for longer, freeze 4 hours, wrap in plastic wrap and foil. Bring to room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
did you make this recipe?
tag @olivesnthyme on instagram