These almond flour banana muffins are just like the classic banana bread muffins you know and love, just made with almond flour. This recipe for banana almond flour muffins is easy to make using simple ingredients with no added sugar. They’re soft, filled with banana flavor, are gluten free and perfect for breakfasts and snacks.
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I absolutely adore baking with almond flour. My Almond Flour Chocolate Cake, Almond Flour Brownies and Tahini Olive Oil Brownies are all incredibly delicious recipes made with almond flour. These banana almond flour muffins are another almond flour recipe I know you will love.
- Gluten free: These banana muffins with almond flour taste just like regular banana muffins, but are gluten free, paleo friendly and have no added sugars.
- Perfect for breakfast and snacking: These gluten free banana muffins are perfect for busy school mornings or as a healthy snack. They’re kid friendly and easily adaptable for your dietary needs.
- Easy to make, bake and eat: All you need to make these paleo banana muffins is one bowl, a whisk and a muffin pan.
This banana bread muffin recipe requires only a handful of simple ingredients to make and you probably already have them in your pantry and fridge.
Dry Ingredients: Gather all almond flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Wet Ingredients: Gather mashed banana, eggs, vanilla extract and chocolate chips.
These gluten free banana chocolate chip muffins are as easy to make as they are delicious. Here are my recommended substitutions to make these muffins if you need them.
- Almond Flour: Blanched almond flour is the correct flour to use in this recipe. Do not use almond meal. If you need this recipe to be gluten and nut free, I recommend using an equal amount of oat flour (2 ¾ cups + 2 tbsp, 264 g).
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: These provide rise and leavening for the muffins. Make sure both are fresh.
- Ground Cinnamon: Cinnamon is used to boost the sweetness of the almond banana muffins. If you would like, feel free to use another ground spice or omit the cinnamon.
- Mashed Banana: The bananas serve as the only sweetener in this almond flour banana muffin recipe. Make sure the bananas are fully ripened with lots of brown spots. This indicates the bananas are sweet.
- Egg: This recipe has not been tested without eggs.
- Vanilla Extract: This provides a lovely background flavor for the muffins.
- Chocolate Chips: I love adding mini chocolate chips to my banana muffins. Feel free to use whatever regular or mini chips you like or omit.
Blender or Food Processor Method: Place all the wet ingredient in the food processor or blender. Process on medium speed until well combined. Add in the dry ingredients and process until just combined. Scoop the banana almond flour muffins into the cupcake liners and bake for 30 minutes.
Mix-ins: Add up to ½ cup of chopped nuts or fresh or frozen berries.
Make the banana muffins sweeter: Beat in ¼ cup granulated sugar along with the eggs and vanilla extract.
Make them fluffier: Reduce the almond flour to 2 cups (192 g), mix ½ cup tapioca flour into the almond flour and prepare the recipe as written.
How To Make
Learn how to make banana muffins with almond flour in a few easy steps. Here’s how to make them.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Line a 12 ct. muffin pan with cupcake liners and lightly spray the cupcake liners with a non stick spray. In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt together until well combined.
- In a stand mixer whisk the bananas until they are smooth. Then beat the eggs and vanilla extract together with the banana for 3-4 minutes on medium speed. The mixture should be until smooth and well combined.
- Mix in the dry ingredients with the wet until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips if using.
- Use a 3 tablespoon sized cookie scoop to scoop the almond banana muffin batter into each of the muffin liners.
- Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are golden and bounce back quickly when lightly pressed. Cool the muffins in the pan for 15 minutes. Gently remove them from the pan and enjoy!
How To Store, Freeze and Thaw
- Store leftover banana almond flour muffins: Place the muffins loosely covered in a container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Transfer to the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze the almond flour banana muffins: Make sure the muffins are completely cooled to room temperature. Transfer them to an airtight and freezer safe container life a zip lock bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To thaw the muffins: The easiest and tastiest way to thaw your banana bread muffins is to let it sit them out at room temperature until they are thawed or heat then in the microwave in 15 second increments until heated through.
M’s Expert Tips
- Bring cold ingredients to room temperature: This allows the ingredients to mix together more evenly which requires less mixing.
- Use a very ripe banana. This healthy banana muffin recipe has no added sugar to help sweeten it. Use a ripe banana with lots of brown spots to ensure there is enough natural sweetness.
- Flavor the banana bread muffin with cinnamon. Not only is ground cinnamon a fantastic aromatic, it also enhances the taste of the sweetness of the almond banana muffin.
- Lightly spray the cupcake liners if you are concerned about too much of the muffins sticking to the liner.
- Use a cookie scoop: This is the easiest, quickest and cleanest way to get perfect mini muffins. Each banana muffin is about 3 tablespoons (45 ml).
- Fully preheat the oven: Ovens need about 20-30 minutes to fully preheat.
Yes, this muffin recipe can be made into about mini banana muffins. Prepare the recipe as written, scoop the muffin batter into a 24 ct. muffin pan. Bake at 350 F (177 C) for about 10 minutes. Gently press on the tops. If it bounces back, the muffins are ready.
They may just need more time to cool. Bake them until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Then let them cool completely before enjoying them.
Other Muffins Recipes to Try
- Raspberry Muffins
- Lemon Muffins
- Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
- Carrot Cake Muffins
- Raspberry Almond Muffins
- Banana Coffee Cake Muffins
If you try this Almond Flour Banana Muffins recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking!
Almond Flour Banana Muffins Recipe
- 1 stand mixer with whisk attachment or hand mixer with beaters
- 12 cupcake liners
- 1 large cookie scoop
- 2¾ cups (264 g) almond flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups mashed banana about 3 medium bananas
- 3 large eggs (US), room temperature
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (85 g) mini chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Line a 12 ct. muffin pan with cupcake liners and lightly spray the cupcake liners with a non stick spray or use silicone liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt together until well combined.2¾ cups (264 g) almond flour, 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a stand mixer whisk the bananas until they are smooth. Then beat the eggs and vanilla extract together with the banana for 3-4 minutes on medium speed. The mixture should be until smooth and well combined.1¼ cups mashed banana, 3 large eggs (US), room temperature, 2 teaspoon (10 ml) vanilla extract
- Mix in the dry ingredients with the wet until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips if using.½ cup (85 g) mini chocolate chips, optional
- Use a 3 tablespoon sized cookie scoop to scoop the almond banana muffin batter into each of the muffin liners. Top with more chocolate chips if you like.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and bounce back quickly when lightly pressed. Cool the muffins in the pan for 15 minutes. Gently remove them from the pan to cool completely and enjoy!