These mini chocolate chip muffins are just like the classic chocolate chip muffins you know and love, just made into two bite mini muffins! This Little Bites copycat recipe is quick and easy to make using simple ingredients. They’re better than store bought and are perfect for a delicious breakfast, snack or dessert.
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I love a great muffin recipe, especially mini muffins. My Mini Blueberry Muffins, Banana Mini Muffins and Apple Cider Donuts, are mini muffin recipes from the blog I absolutely love. These easy chocolate chip mini muffins are another mini muffin recipe I know you will love.
- Layers of flavors and textures: These mini chocolate muffins are made from a moist, soft and fluffy vanilla muffin filled with mini chocolate chips.
- Easy to make, bake and eat: These chocolate chip muffin bites taste better than the store bought ones, but are so simple to make. All you need to make these easy chocolate chip mini muffins is one bowl, a whisk and a spoon.
- Perfect for breakfast and snacking. These mini choc chip muffins are perfect for busy school mornings or as a quick two bite snack or dessert.
This mini chocolate chip muffin recipe requires only a handful of simple ingredients to make and you probably already have them in your pantry and fridge.
Dry Ingredients: Gather all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
Wet Ingredients: Gather melted butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream, milk and mini chocolate chips.
These mini chocolate chip muffins are as easy to make as they are delicious. Here are my recommended substitutions to make these mini muffins if you need them.
- All purpose flour: To make these chocolate chip muffins gluten free, use a good 1-1 gluten free flour. Replace the amount of flour based on weight rather than cups.
- Granulated Sugar: This muffin recipe calls for granulated sugar and light brown sugar, but maple sugar would also work well to make these bite sized muffins refined sugar free.
- Melted Butter: Feel free to use an equal amount of salted butter in place of the unsalted butter. Just make sure to omit the added salt. Vegan butter or plant based can also be used in place of regular unsalted butter for this chocolate chip muffin recipe.
- Eggs: This recipe has not been tested without eggs.
- Sour Cream: A thick and creamy greek yogurt works well in this recipe in place of the sour cream.
- Milk: Use any milk you like.
- Mini Chocolate Chips: Mini chocolate chips are preferred for this mini muffin recipe. Regular chocolate chips are too large.
Dairy Free Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins: Replace the butter with vegan or dairy free butter. Use a planted based yogurt and milk in place of sour cream and milk.
How To Make
Learn how to make mini chocolate chip muffins in a few easy steps. Here’s how to make them.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Line a 24 ct. mini muffin pan with mini cupcake liners. In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together until well combined.
- Whisk the melted butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream and milk together until smooth and well combined.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients with the wet until smooth and well combined with few lumps. Stir in the mini chocolate chips until well combined. Rest the muffin batter for 20 - 30 minutes for bakery style muffins.
4. Use a tablespoon sized cookie scoop to scoop the chocolate chip mini muffin batter into each of the mini muffin wells or liners. Bake the muffins for 10 -12 minutes or until the sides of the muffins are lightly golden and the tops bounce back quickly when lightly pressed. Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes. Gently remove them from the pan and enjoy!
How To Store, Freeze and Thaw
Store leftover mini chocolate chip muffins: Place the muffins in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze the mini muffins: Make sure the muffins are completely cooled to room temperature. Transfer them to an airtight and freezer safe container life a zip lock bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To thaw the chocolate chip muffins: The easiest and tastiest way to thaw your mini muffins is to let it sit them out at room temperature until they are thawed. Enjoy at room temperature or microwave the muffin for 10 - 15 seconds for that “fresh from the oven” taste.
M’s Expert Tips
- Bring cold ingredients to room temperature: This allows the ingredients to mix together more evenly which requires less mixing, resulting in soft, fluffy and moist muffins.
- Rest the batter for about 20-30 minutes: Allowing some time for resting allows the batter to hydrate, thicken and rise, making these the best mini muffins.
- Use a small cookie scoop: This is the easiest, quickest and cleanest way to get perfect mini chocolate chip muffins. Each mini muffin is about 1 tablespoon (15 ml).
- Fully preheat the oven: Ovens need about 20 - 30 minutes to fully preheat.
- For the best tasting muffins the next day: The easiest way to give your muffins that “fresh from the oven” taste the next day is to microwave them for about 20 - 30 seconds and enjoy immediately.
Yes, this mini muffin recipe can be made into about 12 regular chocolate chip muffins. Prepare the recipe as written, scoop the muffin batter into a 12 ct. muffin pan and bake at 375 F (190 C) for about 18 - 22 minutes. Gently press on the tops. If it bounces back, the muffins are ready.
The leavening agent or baking temperature may be the reason. Make sure to use fresh baking powder and only mix just until the ingredients are mixed together. Double check the inside temperature of the oven by using an oven thermometer.
Other Mini Recipes to Try
If you try this Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking!
Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- 1 - 2 24 ct. mini muffin pan
- 44 mini muffin liners or non stick spray
- 1 whisk or spoon
- 1 small tablespoon sized cookie scoop optional
- 2 cups (240 g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g) light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (US), room temperature
- ½ cup (118 ml) milk, room temperature
- ½ cup (120 g) sour cream, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (128 g) mini chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together until well combined.2 cups (240 g) all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- Whisk the melted butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream and milk together until smooth and well combined.½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, melted, ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar, ¼ cup (50 g) light brown sugar, 2 large eggs (US), room temperature, ½ cup (118 ml) milk, room temperature, ½ cup (120 g) sour cream, room temperature, 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- Whisk in the dry ingredients with the wet until smooth and well combined with few lumps. Stir in the mini chocolate chips until well combined.¾ cup (128 g) mini chocolate chips
- Use a tablespoon sized cookie scoop to scoop the chocolate chip mini muffin batter into each of the mini muffin wells or liners.
- Bake the muffins for 10 -12 minutes or until the sides of the muffins are lightly golden and the tops bounce back quickly when lightly pressed.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes. Gently remove them from the pan and enjoy!