These strawberry brownies are moist and chewy pink brownies topped with a sweet, strawberry filled glaze. What makes these strawberry cake brownies the best is that you only need 4 ingredients and about 30 minutes to make them. These quick, easy and super simple strawberry cake mix brownies are the perfect taste of spring and summer all year long.
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I have quite a few cake mix recipes on the blog. My Lemon Poke Cake, Brownie Cake, Lemon Dump Cake, Lemon Cake Mix Cookies, Brownies from Cake Mix, Apple Cobbler from Cake Mix and Peach Cobbler with Cake Mix are all quick, easy and delicious cake mix based recipes. I’m so excited to add these incredibly delicious and easy to make strawberry brownies to my growing collection of cake mix recipes.
- Only 4 ingredients: You only need a handful of basic ingredients to make a batch of wonderfully chewy strawberry brownies. Add 3 more ingredients to make the sweet and tart strawberry glaze.
- One bowl: This strawberry cake mix brownie batter comes together in one bowl.
- Layers of flavors and textures: These strawberry cake mix brownies are soft, moist and deliciously chewy. They’re topped with a smooth glaze filled with specks of sweet strawberry.
Before I show you how to make strawberry brownies, make sure you have these simple ingredients ready to go!
For the Strawberry Brownies
Gather your preferred strawberry cake mix, oil, melted butter and eggs.
For the Strawberry Glaze
Gather powdered sugar, water and strawberry jam or preserves.
Making strawberry brownies with a cake mix is super simple. Here are my recommended substitutions to make these brownies.
- Strawberry Cake Mix: Any brand or type of strawberry cake mix works perfectly in this recipe. I personally love to use Betty Crocker moist strawberry cake mix.
- Oil: Any type of neutral tasting oil will work well in this cake mix brownie recipe.
- Eggs: This is an essential ingredient for moisture and binding. This recipe has not been tested without eggs.
- Powdered Sugar: The glaze topping is optional, but a wonderful way to bring in even more strawberry flavor. Choose a powdered sugar brand you like.
- Strawberry Jam or Preserves: Adding more strawberry flavor in the glaze is optional. Choose your favorite strawberry jam or preserves. You can also mash up fresh strawberries if you like.
- Water: This helps to thin the glaze to your desired consistency. Use milk or even fresh strawberry juice in place of the water.
How To Make
Learn how to make chewy strawberry brownies in a few easy steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper along the bottom and two sides. Whisk the eggs, egg yolk, oil and melted butter together until smooth and well combined. Stir in the strawberry cake mix until smooth and well combined.
- Evenly scoop the strawberry brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake the strawberry brownies for 18 - 22 minutes. The edges of the brownies will pull away from the pan. A toothpick inserted into the center of the pink brownies will come out with a few moist crumbs and no wet batter.
- While the brownies cool in the pan, make the strawberry glaze. In a mixing bowl, add 1 - 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam and 1 tablespoon of water to the powdered sugar. Mix until well combined. For a thinner glaze, add up to 1 tablespoon more water.
- Pour and evenly spread the strawberry glaze on top of the warm strawberry blondies. All the glaze to set for 30 - 45 minutes. Remove the brownies from the pan, slice and enjoy!
How To Serve, Store, Freeze and Thaw
- Serve these cake mix brownies with more fresh strawberries or enjoy straight from the pan.
- Store leftover strawberry brownies: Once the brownies have cooled completely to room temperature, place them in an airtight container for up to 3 - 4 days.
- Freeze the strawberry blondies: Make sure they are completely cooled to room temperature. Cut them into your preferred amount of pieces. Individually wrap each chewy strawberry blondie in plastic wrap and place in a ziplock bag. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Thaw the cake mix brownies: The easiest and tastiest way to thaw your brownies from cake mix is to let it sit out at room temperature for at least two hours or overnight in the fridge.
M’s Expert Tips
- Bring cold ingredients to room temperature: This allows the ingredients to mix together more evenly which requires less mixing, resulting in deliciously chewy brownies.
- Use an 8x8 pan metal pan. This recipe was created using an 8x8 aluminum baking pan. If you are using a glass baking dish, you may need to add a few more minutes to the baking time. Double the recipe to bake in a 9x13 baking pan.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper. This helps to release the brownies from the pan more easily. You can also lightly grease the pan if you prefer not to line it with parchment paper.
- For perfectly sliced strawberry brownies, fully cool them to room temperature and then chill in the fridge for a bit before cutting them. Use a sharp knife and clean the knife between cuts.
This cake mix brownie recipe calls for 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk. This can be a little confusing since the strawberry cake mix also lists ingredients on the box. Think of the boxed cake mix as the “dry ingredients” and the other ingredients in the recipe as the “wet ingredients.”
If you have a sugar free or gluten free strawberry cake mix you use and love, it’s definitely worth trying to make brownies out of cake mix. Use a sugar replacement powdered sugar for the glaze.
Butter provides a more rich and flavorful flavor, but will react with the leavening agents in the cake mix. This results in a more cake like brownie. If you want a fudgier brownie, use all oil in this strawberry brownies recipe.
Other Strawberry Recipes To Try
- Strawberry Cookies
- Strawberry Angel Food Cake
- White Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Strawberry Pretzel Cheesecake
- Small Batch Strawberry Cupcakes
If you try this Strawberry Brownies Recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking! Happy Baking! - M
Strawberry Brownies Recipe
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 whisk and flexible spatula or spoon
- 1 8X8 metal pan
- 1 parchment paper
- 1 15.25 oz. strawberry cake mix
- 2 large eggs (US), room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (US), room temperature
- ¼ cup (59 ml) canola oil
- ¼ cup (59 ml) melted butter
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp (15-30 ml) strawberry jam or preserves
- 1-2 tbsp (15-30 ml) water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper along the bottom and two sides.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolk, oil and melted butter together until smooth and well combined. Stir in the strawberry cake mix until smooth and well combined.
- Evenly scoop the strawberry brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake the strawberry brownies for 18 - 22 minutes. The edges of the strawberry brownies will pull away from the pan. A toothpick inserted into the center of the pink brownies will come out with a few moist crumbs and no wet batter.
- While the strawberry cake mix brownies cool in the pan, make the strawberry glaze. In a mixing bowl, add 1 - 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam and 1 tablespoon of water to the powdered sugar. Mix until well combined. For a thinner glaze, add up to 1 tablespoon more water.
- Pour and evenly spread the strawberry glaze on top of the warm strawberry brownies. All the glaze to set for 30 - 45 minutes. Remove the brownies from the pan, slice and enjoy!