it's summertime and the markets are bursting with fresh fruits and vegetables. berries are in their prime and absolutely demand to be eaten. in my opinion, there is no better way to enjoy fresh, ripe summer berries than straight from the carton with a little whipped cream. it is in that thought- the one that says a fresh summer berry is perfection all its own, that I made this summer berry icebox cake. it's a quick, easy, fresh and dare I say healthier dessert that screams summer!
in a few words, this easy icebox cake can be described as
- if summer was dessert
- like a grownup, modern version of a trifle
- did I mention easy? seriously, if you can whip, mix, layer and open the freezer, you can make this dessert!
the short + sweet ingredient list
you'll need some basic, but key pantry staples to make this icebox cake
- Strawberry Fruit Spread
- plain greek yogurt
- use any THICK yogurt
- plant based would work well!
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- heavy whipping cream
- or plant based alternative
- graham crackers
- preferred, but can be subbed with any cookie or sweet biscuit
that's it! a simple and simply delicious ingredient list for a simple and very delicious summer time dessert.
make sure you have these (no) bake tools for the best icebox cake
- 9X5 loaf pan
- 8X8 or 8" round pan would also work
- plastic cling wrap
- to line the pan
- makes removing the cake from the pan possible
- stand mixer with whisk attachment
- or hand mixer with beaters
- a couple of mixing bowls
- at least one should be microwave safe
- offset spatula or icing palette knife
- helps spread the layers
- it's in the name, but all the magic happens while the cake is chilling
tips and tricks for the easiest summer berry icebox cake
- use fresh, quality ingredients
- taste the berries
- use ones that are ripe, but not overly ripen
- they should be sweet and could be enjoyed alone
- warm up the fruit spread
- this helps to coat the chopped fruit
- the juices from the fruit release more easily when gently warmed
- makes a nice berry "sauce"
- line the pan you plan on making the icebox cake in
- the loaf pan shape is iconic, but other pans can be used instead
- the plastic wrap helps the icebox cake come out cleanly and smoothly
- less to clean up!
- apply the final layer of whipped cream to the outer layer
- looks more finished and cohesive
- wait to top the cake with fresh berries until right before serving
- allow the frozen cake to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes
- store any uneaten pieces in the freezer
- wrapped in plastic wrap
- stored in a freezer proof container
more freezer treats to love
- blackberry tiramisu icebox cake
- no bake margarita pie
- no churn tahini ice cream
- pumpkin gingersnap icebox cake
- spiced pumpkin bourbon tiramisu
summer berry icebox cake
- stand mixer with whisk or hand mixer with beaters
- 9X5 loaf pan or similar sized pan
- plastic cling wrap
- 1 8.2oz. (235g) jar Bonne Maman INTENSE Strawberry Fruit Spread
- 1 lb. (454g) fresh strawberries and raspberries (~ 3.5-4 c) strawberries should be sliced to the size of the raspberries
- 1 ¼ c (296ml) plain greek yogurt
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp zest of one lemon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ c (414ml) heavy whipping cream, divided
- 16-20 "sheets" of graham crackers gluten free if needed
- ½ c fresh berries for topping, optional
- 2 tsp sugar for macerating berries, optional
Making the Icebox Cake
- Pour the Bonne Maman INTENSE Strawberry Fruit Spread in a microwave proof bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals until the spread becomes more liquid, about 60 seconds. Mix the washed and sliced berries with the Bonne Maman INTENSE Strawberry Fruit Spread. After mixing, lightly mash the berry mixture to encourage the release of the berry juices. If needed, heat the bowl of berries for 30-60 seconds. Mix well and set aside. *Tip: Taste the mixture. If the berries aren't very sweet, you will want to add a little sugar to the whipped filling.
- Line a 9X5 loaf pan (or pan of choice) with plastic cling wrap along the bottom and 2" over the longer sides. The overhang allows for easy removal. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon zest, ground cinnamon and salt. Whisk on low-medium speed until well combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- On medium speed, stream in (1 ¼ c, 296ml) heavy whipping cream. Increase the speed from medium to high. Mix until soft peaks form. Add 2-3 tablespoon of sugar if desired (this will depend if you think the berry mixture is sweet enough).Whisk on high until medium-medium stiff peaks form. The peak of cream on the tip of the whisk or beater should stand straight up or have a slight bend at the peak.
- In the prepared loaf pan, add a layer of graham crackers, breaking the crackers if needed to fully cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with ¼ of the whipped yogurt filling. Cover with ½ of the berry sauce. Cover with ¼ of the yogurt filling. Cover with another layer of graham crackers. Repeat (graham crackers, yogurt, berry sauce, yogurt). Cover with a final layer of graham crackers at the top.Wrap the entire loaf pan in plastic wrap. Add a foil top if freezing overnight or for longer than one day before serving. Place in the freezer for at least 6 hours.
- One hour before serving, move the icebox cake from the freezer to the fridge. Make the final (outer) layer of whipped cream (½ c, 118ml) 30 minutes before serving. If topping with fresh berries, slice the berries and toss with 2-3 teaspoon sugar in a small mixing bowl.
- About 20 minutes before serving, move the icebox cake from the loaf pan to a serving plate. Do this by removing all the foil and plastic wrap. Quickly invert the loaf pan in the center of the serving plate. Remove the plastic wrap from the cake. Spread the whipped cream around the outer layer of the icebox cake. Place the serving plate, with the cake back in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the icebox cake from the freezer, top with the fresh macerated berries, slice and serve.
Make sure to leave a star review below