new year, new recipe! for my first post of this new year, im going savory. sometimes I like to make things other than desserts! now that the holidays are firmly behind us, let’s settle into quick and cozy meals. it never really gets too cold where I live. but, we go full on with hearty soups, stews, slow cooker deliciousness. what to pair with these meals- cheesy rolls of course! not just any old rolls either, these easy twisted garlic cheese rolls. they are made for cozy meals at home.
when I first developed this recipe, my kids couldn’t get enough! they loved each version that came from the oven. truth be told, these rolls are so delicious they stand on their own. the interior stays soft, a little chewy and filled with melted cheese. ah, heaven. the exterior of the rolls get toasty golden brown with bits of baked cheese. also, very much heaven. take a bite, pull them apart, eat them plain or dip them into a bowl of something comforting. there is no wrong way to enjoy these cheese rolls!
these garlic cheese rolls are
too many delicious words to name! but my favorite way to describe them are:
- soft and chewy
- made for all your cold weather dishes
- 100% kid approved
let’s chat ingredients
you don’t need much to make these easy twisted garlic cheese rolls
- cans of crescent roll dough
- dried herbs
- cheese: sharp cheddar, gouda or any salty melty cheese
- fresh parsley or tender herbs of choice
told you it was short! seriously, these rolls are made to be something you just throw together. not in that “no make-up that took hours to do” way. the kind of way where you need a quick, cozy and delicious side for your soup. also, have I mentioned how much my kids LOVED these rolls. even my picky one who swears potato chips count as a veggie. side note: did you know the US government used to endorse something called a vitamin donut?! so hilariously wrong, but maybe they’re on to something??? my veggie hating son would very much approve.
the only thing you really need to make these savory rolls is a 12 ct. muffin pan. maybe a knife to mince the garlic and chop the veggies. an icing spatula, small spatula or spoon to spread the butter. but, really and truly these are made to be a last minute, “need something, anything for dinner.”
how do I assemble these rolls?
glad you asked! take a look at the pictures and captions for the easiest explanation of how to make these easy twisted garlic cheese rolls
once baked, they look like this:
check out the sweet version!
easy twisted garlic cheese rolls
- 12 ct muffin pan
- icing knife, small spatula or spoon
- box cheese grater, optional
- 2 8oz. cans refridgerated cresent rolls dough
- 4 tbsp (56g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp dried herbs italian or zaatar would be delicious
- 2 c shredded cheese of choice cheddar and gouda would be delicious
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped parsley, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.Lightly grease a 12 ct. muffin pan. Set aside.
- Open 1 can of crescent rolls. There will be 8 triangles. Tear each triangle along the perforations.Slightly overlap two triangles along the perforated edge to make 1 rectangle. Gently press the outer edges to make a roughly 6×4 rectangle. Repeat for the remaining pieces of dough to make 4 total.
- Mix softened butter, minced garlic and dried herbs together until well combined. Spread 1 tsp butter mixture across each rectangle. Top with 1/4 c cheese per rectangle.
- Starting at the long edge, tightly roll the long bottom edge to the top edge. Repeat for the other 3 rectangles. Place the rolled "logs" seam side down on a flat surface. Slice in half lengthwise.Starting at the top points, press the two pieces together. Overlap one sliced side with the other, repeating to make a braided "rope"
- Once "braided," twist the bottom up to the middle of the roll. twist the top of the roll down to the middle and around the bottom end (that has been twisted into the middle). Repeat for remaining 3 "logs"Place the 4 twisted rolls on a parchment lined plate or baking sheet to chill in the fridge while you prepare the other 4 rolls using the remaining ingredients.
- Once all rolls are prepared and ready to bake, place each of the eight (8) total twisted rolls in a muffin cup in the muffin pan.Brush the top of each roll with the tablespoon of melted butter. Sprinkle with salt.Bake at 350 f for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on the top. cool in pan for 2-3 minutes. Carefully remove from the pan, plate and top with chopped parsley.
love this recipe?!
let others know by leaving a rating in the recipe + comment below