This Oreo frosting is a rich, silky, smooth and fluffy cookies and cream frosting. It’s quick and easy to make in about 10 minutes or less using 5 simple ingredients. Make the best Oreo buttercream as the perfect topping for cakes, cupcakes and so much more!
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I have several easy Oreo based recipes on the blog that I absolutely adore. My Cookies and Cream Ice Cream, Oreo Dip, Mini Oreo Cheesecakes and Oreo Mug Cake are just a few of my favorites. I am so excited to add this decadent Oreo buttercream frosting to the blog. I know you’ll love this Oreo frosting recipe because:
- Super simple to make. From start to finish, you can make this wonderfully easy cookies and cream buttercream in about 10 minutes. Then, just top your cakes, cupcakes or even brownies and enjoy!
- Tons of flavor with little effort. This homemade Oreo frosting adds an instant boost of fun Oreo cookie filling flavor.
This easy Oreo frosting needs only a handful of ingredients to make and you probably already have them in your pantry and fridge! Here’s what you will need to make this creamy and decadent cookies n cream frosting.
Gather unsalted butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract and Oreo cookies.
This Oreo buttercream frosting recipe is meant to be so easy, you can make anytime you need. Here are my recommended substitutions if you need them.
- Unsalted Butter: Feel free to use an equal amount of salted butter.
- Powdered Sugar: I like using Wholesome Organic powdered sugar. If you need a lower sugar powdered sugar alternative, I recommend Swerve or Lakanto.
- Heavy Cream: This is helps to create a light and fluffy texture to the frosting, more like a whipped cream frosting. If needed, use milk in place of the heavy cream.
- Vanilla Extract: This provides a lovely background flavor for the no bake cheesecake filling.
- Oreo Cookies: Feel free to use any chocolate sandwich cookie you like.
Cream Cheese Oreo Frosting: To make this Oreo buttercream frosting recipe into one with cream cheese, simply swap out some of the butter with cream cheese. Use 12 tablespoon (170 g) unsalted butter and 8 oz. (226 g) cream cheese at room temperature. Cream them together on low speed for about 2 - 3 minutes, until creamy and well combined. Then follow the rest of the recipe as written.
How To Make
Let me show you how to make Oreo frosting in a few easy steps.
- Cream the softened butter until smooth. This takes about 1 -2 minutes on low speed. Stop and scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Mix in the sifted powdered sugar ½ cup (60 g) at a time, beating each addition of powdered sugar until incorporated. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl as needed.
- Once all the sugar has been added, mix in the vanilla extract, salt and and heavy cream. Beat on high for 6 - 8 minutes or until the Oreo butter cream filling is to your desired consistency.
- Once the buttercream is light and fluffy, fold in the crushed Oreo cookies to make the cookies and cream frosting. Prepare the frosting for topping cakes or cupcakes or to store until you are ready to use.
How To Store, Freeze, Thaw and Serve
Store: The cookies and cream icing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. When you are ready to use the Oreo buttercream, bring it to room temperature and beat again for a few minutes until it is light and fluffy again.
Freeze: The cookies and cream frosting in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 -3 months.
Thaw: Transfer the frosting to the fridge to thaw overnight. When you are ready to use the Oreo buttercream frosting, bring it to room temperature and beat again for a few minutes until it is light and fluffy again.
M’s Expert Tips
- Use room temperature butter. Using cold butter can cause the frosting to have little bumps. The Oreo buttercream will be much smoother, easier to work with the fluffier if the butter is room temperature prior to mixing.
- Scrape down the bowl. This is often an overlooked step when making buttercream frosting. However, it is an important step to ensure all the ingredients are fully and evenly mixed.
- Beat for the full 6 - 8 minutes. To ensure the Oreo cream frosting is light and fluffy buttercream frosting, the icing needs to mix for the full time.
- Finely chop the Oreo cookies. If you plan on piping the frosting, it is very important to finely chop the cookies. If you don’t the cookies will catch in the frosting tip.
- Serve at room temperature. This Oreo frosting tastes best when it is served at room temperature. If the environment isn’t hot or overly warm, the cake or cupcakes with this cookies and cream frosting can be left at room temperature.
This recipe makes about 4 cups of Oreo frosting. This is enough frosting for 12 cupcakes with high frosting swirls, 24 cupcakes with a normal amount of frosting, a 9 x 13 cake or a 2 layer 8-inch or 9-inch cake without decorative piping. For taller piping on 24 cupcakes or to add decorative piping to a cake, make at least 1 ½ times the recipe.
Buttercream frostings are fairly stable in warmer environments and will not melt. However, if you are serving a cake or cupcakes with this Oreo icing when it is really warm or humid, it’s best to store them in the fridge until about 10 - 15 minutes before it’s time to serve.
This recipe for oreo or cookies and cream frosting is made from butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, heavy cream and Oreo cookies.
Other Frosting Recipes to Try
- Coffee Buttercream
- Funfetti Frosting
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
If you try this Oreo Frosting Recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking! Happy Baking! - M
Oreo Frosting Recipe
- 1 stand mixer with paddle attachment or electric hand mixer with beaters
- 1¼ cups (283 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (454 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 - 3 tbsp (30 - 45 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup finely crushed Oreo cookies about 8 - 9 cookies
- Pull the butter out about 30 - 60 minutes before making the recipe.
- Cream the softened butter until smooth. This takes about 1 -2 minutes on low speed. Stop and scrape down sides of bowl as needed.1¼ cups (283 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Mix in the sifted powdered sugar ½ cup (60 g) at a time, beating each addition of powdered sugar until incorporated. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl as needed.4 cups (454 g) powdered sugar
- Once all the sugar has been added, mix in the vanilla extract, salt and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) heavy cream.1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 - 3 tablespoon (30 - 45 ml) heavy cream
- Beat on high for 6 - 8 minutes or until the Oreo butter cream filling is to your desired consistency.
- Once the buttercream is light and fluffy, fold in the crushed Oreo cookies to make the cookies and cream frosting.1 cup finely crushed Oreo cookies
- Prepare the frosting for topping cakes or cupcakes or to store until you are ready to use.