Cookies and cream ice cream is a rich, creamy and delicious homemade cream oreo ice cream. No need to pull out your ice cream maker, this easy recipe for cookies n cream ice cream is no churn. All you need to make this cookie filled homemade ice cream is 4 ingredients and some freezer time.
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I have several easy Oreo based recipes on the blog that I absolutely adore. My Oreo Dip, Mini Oreo Cheesecakes and Oreo Mug Cake are just a few of my favorites. I am so excited to add this decadent Oreo ice cream to the blog. I know you’ll love this ice cream recipe because:
- Super simple to make. From start to finish, you can make this wonderfully easy ice cream recipe in about 10 minutes. Then, just let the cookie dough ice cream freeze for about 6 - 8 hours and enjoy!
- A creamy and decadent ice cream. This no churn cookies n cream ice cream recipe is made from 4 simple ingredients. Simply whisk, mix, fold and freeze.
- Grab your ice cream maker or not. This creamy cookie ice cream can be made in an ice cream maker with a few easy swaps.
This Oreo ice cream needs only a handful of ingredients to make and you probably already have them in your pantry and fridge! Here’s what you will need to make this creamy and decadent treat.
Ingredients: Gather all heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and Oreo cookies.
This Oreo cookie ice cream recipe is meant to be so easy, you can make it as a casual dessert to enjoy anytime. Here are my recommended substitutions if you need them.
- Heavy Cream: This is an essential ingredient to the structure and texture of ice cream when it’s made without an ice cream mixer. Heavy cream usually whips to twice the amount.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: This is another essential ingredient for homemade ice cream when not using an ice cream maker.
- Vanilla Extract: This provides the vanilla flavor for the base of this ice cream.
- Oreo Cookies: Feel free to use any chocolate sandwich cookie you like.
- Ice Cream with Ice Cream Maker: To make this creamy chocolate cookie filled ice cream in an ice cream maker, mix 1 cup (237 ml) with ½ - ¾ cup (100 - 150 g) granulated sugar until the sugar is mostly dissolved into the milk. Then stir in 2 cups ( 474 ml) heavy cream and 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract until well combined. Pour the mixture into your prepared ice cream maker. Make sure to follow the instructions on the ice cream maker to prepare and churn the ice cream. After churning for 20 minutes, stir in about 10 crushed oreo cookies and churn for another 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture into a freezer proof container and layer with chopped cookies if desired. Freezer for at least 4 hours before enjoying.
How To Make
Let me show you how to make homemade cookies and cream ice cream in a few easy steps.
- Pour the heavy cream into a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed to stiff peaks with a whisk attachment (or beaters). The heavy cream should double in size. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and crushed Oreo cookies until well combined. Fold in the whipped cream until well combined.
- Layer the homemade cookies ice cream with chopped pieces of Oreo cookies into a freezer proof container. I like to do two layers of homemade ice cream topped with chopped Oreo cookies. Transfer the Oreo ice cream to the freezer to set for 1-2 hours. Then cover the entire container in plastic wrap. Freeze the ice cream for at least 8 hours, but preferably overnight. Cover with an additional layer of foil if storing for more than 1-2 days.
How To Store and Serve
Store the creamy and decadent ice cream in an airtight and freezer proof container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Serve this creamy cookie ice cream with warm Brownie Bites or Espresso Brownies. This ice cream would also taste amazing sandwiched between two Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies or buttery Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies.
M’s Expert Tips
- Make sure the heavy cream is whipped to stiff peaks. This is essential setting the homemade oreo cookie ice cream base. Heavy cream has been whipped to stiff peaks when the whipped cream stands up without folding down when the beater is lifted out of the bowl.
- Use crushed and chopped Oreo cookies. Crushed cookies are easier to fold into the ice cream mixture, while coarsely chopped cookies provide a delicious textural contrast.
- Make sure to chill the ice cream for at least 6 - 8 hours: For the best ice cream, do not skimp on the freezer time. Anything less than 6 -8 hours of chill time will result in a very runny (but delicious) ice cream.
This flavor of ice cream is believed to have originated around the late 1970s. It’s not hard to see why so many people love this cookie filled ice cream since it is essentially a vanilla ice cream based with crushed chocolate sandwiched cookies churned into it.
They are one in the same. The cookies and cream is synonymous with Oreo cookies.
The traditional ice cream base for is vanilla. However, other flavors of ice cream with crushed chocolate cookies includes chocolate, coffee, mint and even Nutella!
Other Ice Cream Recipes to Try
If you try this Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking! Happy Baking! - M
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 stand mixer with whisk attachment or hand mixer with beaters
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 6-8 cup capacity freezer proof container
- 1 plastic wrap
- 2 cups (747 ml) cold heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 10 Oreo cookies, crushed
- 5 Oreo cookies, chopped
- Pull out a freezer proof container to hold the ice cream. Make sure the container can hold at least 6 - 8 cups.
- Pour the heavy cream into a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed to stiff peaks with a whisk attachment (or beaters). The heavy cream should double in size. Set aside.2 cups (747 ml) cold heavy whipping cream
- In a separate bowl mix the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and crushed Oreo cookies until well combined.14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk, 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract, 10 Oreo cookies, crushed
- Fold in the whipped cream until well combined.
- Layer the homemade cookies ice cream with chopped pieces of Oreo cookies into a freezer proof container. I like to do two layers of homemade ice cream topped with chopped Oreo cookies.5 Oreo cookies, chopped
- Transfer the Oreo ice cream to the freezer to set for 1-2 hours. Then cover the entire container in plastic wrap. Freeze the ice cream for at least 8 hours, but preferably overnight. Cover with an additional layer of foil if storing for more than 1-2 days.
- When it's time to serve, remove the ice cream from the freezer, scoop and enjoy!
Leave a Reply