as september gives way to october, i should be more in the mood for pumpkin, but im still very much on an apple kick lately. truth be told, im not overly crazy about pumpkin (although i will have a few of those recipes coming soon)! i know, i know, but honestly im much more into spiced baked treats. enter this caramelized apple tahini crisp.
short, but sweet ingredients list
- apples (green and red, baking apples)
- light brown sugar
- lemon juice
- pumpkin spice
- GF flour (or all purpose)
that's it! just a but of mixing, some baking and time stand between you and a delightfully easy fall dessert.
why crisps are the best desserts
bold statement, I know. but, hear me out!
as you may know, crisps are the easiest, most forgiving of any baked dessert i can think of. simply take 4-6 c of seasonal fruit, cut it into roughly the same size, toss it in flour, a bit of sugar and spice; toss everything into a large baking dish and top it with a sweetened crumble. bam! instant cozy dessert screaming for a blanket, a movie and full on relaxing.
for this caramelized apple tahini crisp, I swapped out the melted butter in the crumble for tahini (bc tahini and apple with pumpkin spice is life). it was a fantastic switch in my opinion as the tahini gives the crumble a slight PB taste which pairs perfectly with caramel-y apple filling. it also happens to make this crisp vegan and gluten free. i highly suggest topping this with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or even some spiced greek yogurt. dessert for breakfast?! yes, please!
check out these other delicious apple recipes!
- chai spiced apple cupcakes with tahini buttercream
- mini caramelized apple dutchies
- apple and butternut squash autumn hash
Caramelized Apple Tahini Crisp
- 9X13 (or larger) baking dish
Spiced Apple Filling
- 6-7 large apples, peeled cored and thinly sliced (honeycrisp, pink lady and granny smith)
- ¾ c light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice or ground cinnamon
- 4-5 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 c rolled oats
- ½ c all purpose flour
- ¾ c light brown sugar
- ½-2/3 c tahini, well stirred
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice or ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Whisk together all dry ingredients for the tahini crumble until well combined. Stir in tahini, until well combined. Set aside in the fridge while preparing the apple filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the apple filling. Mix until all apple pieces are well coated.Add to baking dish, making sure the filling is evenly distributed. Top with tahini crumble, breaking larger pieces with your fingers while crumbling on top of the apple filling.
- Bake at 375 F for 45-55 mlnutes, or until filling is bubbling, apples are tender and the tahini crumble is a golden brown color.
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream or spiced greek yogurt.
Make sure to leave a star review below