These chocolate rice krispies are chewy and crunchy double chocolate bars that are quick and easy to make. They are just like the buttery marshmallow rice krispie treats you know and love, just filled with chocolate.
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I have several fun and creative marshmallow treat recipes on the blog. My personal favorites at the moment are my Fruity Pebbles Treats, Maple Tahini Rice Krispie Treats and Cinnamon Toast Crunch Bars. These chocolate rice krispies are another delicious variation on the classic rice crispy bars I know you’ll love.
- They are quick, easy and fun to make. These chocolate rice krispy treats are made using the same ingredients as regular rice krispie treats with cocoa powder and chocolate chips added in. They take about 10 minutes to make and 30 minutes to set.
- They’re the perfect chocolate filled treat. This recipe for chocolate rice krispies gives you the perfect chewy, crunchy, chocolate and marshmallow filled treat.
This rice krispie treats recipe requires only a handful of ingredients to make and you probably already have them in your house! Make sure you have these ingredients ready to go!
Gather rice krispie cereal, butter, mini marshmallows, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and flaky salt.
These rice krispie treats covered in chocolate are meant to be quick and easy, but sometimes you may not have everything on hand. Here are my recommended substitutions for this recipe if you need them:
- Unsalted Butter: You can use the same amount of salted butter as written in the recipe.
- Rice Krispie cereal: Feel free to use any rice cereal you like. Chocolate rice krispie cereal would be a delicious substitute.
- Mini Marshmallows: This recipe for fruity pebbles treats uses exactly one 10 oz. bag of mini marshmallows. Feel free to use regular marshmallows if needed.
- Cocoa Powder: Any type of unsweetened cocoa powder will work well in this chocolate donut recipe. However, I love using dutch process cocoa powder for its mellow, but intensely chocolate-y flavor.
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: I love using semi sweet chocolate chips for this recipe, but feel free to use milk or dark chocolate chips.
How To Make
Let’s make these rice krispie chocolate bars in a few easy steps:
- In a large sauce pan or pot, melt the butter on low heat. Once all the butter has melted, add in the mini marshmallows and cocoa powder. Stir continuously over low heat until the marshmallows are mostly melted and the cocoa powder is mostly combined with the melted marshmallows and butter.
- Once the marshmallows are mostly melted remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the rice crispy or cocoa rice krispies. Quickly and carefully stir in the cereal in two batches. When the cereal is mostly coated in the chocolate marshmallow mixture, stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Evenly scoop the soft and gooey treats into a lined 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan. Gently press the chocolate rice crispy treats into place. Allow the rice crispy bars with chocolate to set for at least 30 minutes, slice and enjoy.
How To Store
To store leftover marshmallow treats: These chocolate rice krispies store well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
M’s Expert Tips
- Gently melt the marshmallows in the butter over medium - low heat. Stir frequently and just until the marshmallows and butter form a smooth mixture. Avoid the temptation to over mix or rush this process. Doing so can create hard marshmallow treats.
- Lightly grease the pan with cooking spray or butter before transferring cereal and marshmallow mixture into the pan. Press the mixture gently into the pan. This needs to be just enough to get them to stick together.
- Top these chocolate rice krispie treats with more chocolate chips and flaky salt.
- For thinner treats, use a 9x13 pan.
They last 5-7 days when stored in an airtight container.
They are both chocolate flavored rice based cereal.
US based Kellogg’s rice krispie cereal is not gluten free due to malt syrup. However, there are other rice based cereal brands that are gluten free. Use an equal amount of gluten free rice cereal to make these chocolate rice krispies gluten free.
More Marshmallow Desserts to Try
If you try this Chocolate Rice Krispies recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking!
Chocolate Rice Krispies Recipe
- 1 large sauce pan or pot
- 1 large spoon
- 1 8 X 8 or 9 X 9 (20 cm or 23 cm) pan
- 1 parhcment paper
- 6 tbsp (85 g) unsalted butter
- 1 10 oz bag mini marshmallows (about 6 cups)
- ¼ cup (22 g) dutch process or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5½ cups (149 g) Rice Krispie Cereal
- ½ cup (85 g) semi sweet chocolate chips, plus more for optional topping
- ½ tsp flaky salt for topping, optional
- In a large sauce pan or pot, melt the butter on low heat.
- Once all the butter has melted, add in the mini marshmallows and cocoa powder. Stir continuously over low heat until the marshmallows are mostly melted and the cocoa powder is mostly combined with the melted marshmallows and butter.
- Once the marshmallows are mostly melted remove the pot from the heat. Quickly and carefully stir in the rice crispy or cocoa rice krispies cereal in two batches.
- When the cereal is mostly coated in the chocolate marshmallow mixture, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly scoop the soft and gooey treats into a lined 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan. Gently press the chocolate rice crispy treats into place. Top with more chocolate chips and flaky salt if you like.
- Allow the rice crispy bars with chocolate to set for at least 30 minutes, slice and enjoy.