These Oreo cupcakes are light, fluffy and moist cookies and cream filled vanilla cupcakes, topped with a rich and decadent Oreo cookies frosting. Make these melt in your mouth cookies and cream cupcakes for a wonderfully easy and delicious dessert, birthday treat or for any other celebratory occasion.
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I have several Oreo cookies recipes on the blog that I absolutely adore. My Oreo Frosting, Cookies and Cream Ice Cream, Oreo Dip, Mini Oreo Cheesecakes and Oreo Mug Cake are just a few of my favorites. I am so excited to add these melt in your mouth Oreo cookie cupcakes to the blog. I know you’ll love my newest cookies and cream recipe just as much as I do!
- Layers of flavors and textures: From the moist and fluffy vanilla cupcake filled with crushed oreo cookies, to the rich and decadent Oreo buttercream frosting, these Oreo vanilla cupcakes will delight your senses and your tastebuds.
- Easy to make, bake and eat: These homemade Oreo cupcakes look and taste like you just bought them from the bakery, but are so simple to make. All you need is a mixer and a muffin pan.
These Oreo cupcakes with cookies and cream frosting requires only a handful of simple ingredients to make and you probably already have them in your house. Here’s what you’ll need.
Dry Ingredients: Gather all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
Wet Ingredients: Gather butter, eggs, sour cream, milk, vanilla extract and crushed Oreos.
Cookies and Cream Oreo Frosting
Gather unsalted butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract, salt and finely crushed Oreos.
These easy Oreo cupcakes are made with basic pantry staples. But in case you are missing an ingredient, here are my recommended substitutions to make these cookies & cream cupcakes if you need them.
- All purpose flour: To make these Oreo vanilla cupcakes gluten free, use a good 1-1 gluten free flour. I recommend using the one from Bob’s Red Mill.
- Baking Powder: This acts as a leavener in this cupcake recipe.
- Granulated Sugar: This Oreo cupcake recipe calls for granulated sugar, but maple sugar would also work well to make these cupcakes refined sugar free.
- Unsalted Butter: Feel free to use an equal amount of salted butter in place of the unsalted butter. Just make sure to omit the added salt. Vegan butter or plant based can also be used in place of regular unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Eggs: This Oreo cookie cupcake recipe has not been tested without eggs.
- Sour Cream: Full fat greek yogurt works well in place of sour cream.
- Milk: Use any milk you like.
- Vanilla Extract: This adds a lovely background flavor that pairs really well with the cookies and cream flavor from the Oreos.
- Oreos: Feel free to use any chocolate sandwich cookie you like.
- Oreo Bottom Cupcakes: To make these Oreo cupcakes as vanilla cupcakes Oreo stuffed cupcakes, simply place a whole Oreo cookie at the bottom of the cupcake liner and make the vanilla cupcake recipe as written. Omit the crushed cookies. Bake as directed in the recipe.
- Chocolate Cake Mix Oreo Cupcakes: To make these easy Oreo cupcakes even easier, use a box cake mix! Mix a 15.25 oz. box of chocolate or vanilla cake mix with the ingredients listed on the box. Fold in about 10 - 12 crushed Oreo cookies or line the bottom of the cupcakes with Oreo cookies. Scoop the cupcake batter about ¾ of the way and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Homemade Chocolate Cookies and Cream Cupcakes: Follow my Chocolate Ganache Cake recipe (cake only) and fold in about 1 cup crushed Oreo cookies (10 - 12 Oreos). Bake for 18 - 20 minutes. This recipe will make about 12 cupcakes.
How To Make
Learn how to make an Oreo cupcake in a few easy steps.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Line a 12 ct. muffin pan with cupcake liners. If you have a second muffin pan, line that one with about 6 more cupcake liners. In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together until well combined. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat the butter into the dry ingredients until a crumble texture forms.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream and milk together until well combined.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry butter crumble mixture until just combined. Do not overmix. Stir in the crushed Oreo cookies.
- Use a 3 tablespoon sized cookie scoop to scoop the cupcake batter into each of the cupcake liners. Bake the cookies and cream cupcakes for 18 - 20 minutes. The cupcakes are finished baking with the tops spring back quickly when lightly touched. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- Make the Oreo frosting by creaming the butter on low until smooth and well combined. On low speed, beat in the sugar ½ cup (60 g) at a time, followed by the vanilla extract, salt and heavy cream. Increase the speed to medium - high for about 6 - 8 minutes or until the frosting is to your desired consistency.
6. Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes using a 1M star tip or simply spread some on the top like I did. Top the cupcakes with more Oreo cookies if you like.
How To Store, Freeze and Thaw
Store unfrosted cupcakes: Place the cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Then transfer them to the fridge for up to 3 more days.
Store frosted cookies and cream filled cupcakes: Once the cupcakes are topped with cookies and cream icing, they must be can be stored in the fridge or at room temperature. If the room isn’t hot store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 day, then transfer the cupcakes to the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze the cupcakes and frosting: Make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled to room temperature. Individually wrap each Oreo cupcake in plastic wrap and place in a ziplock bag. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Make and freeze the Oreo frosting in a separate ziplock from the cupcakes.
Thaw the cupcakes and frosting: Transfer the cupcakes and frosting to the fridge to thaw overnight. Bring the thawed cupcakes and frosting to room temperature, assemble and enjoy! Check out my blog post for Oreo Frosting for more tips, tricks and storage options.
M’s Expert Tips
- Bring cold ingredients to room temperature.This allows the ingredients to mix together more evenly which requires less mixing, resulting in soft, fluffy and moist cupcakes.
- Don’t overmix the cupcake batter. Always use the lowest speed on your electric mixer.
- Crush the Oreo cookies. Finely crush the oreo cookies for the cupcakes and the frosting. If the cookies are a bit larger for the cupcakes, that is fine. If you plan on piping the Oreo icing, make sure to finely chop or crush the Oreo cookies.
- Don’t overfill the cupcake liners. Only fill the cupcake liners about ? full. This helps the cupcakes bake with even flat tops.
Place the Oreo cookies in a zip lock bag and crush or smash the Oreos using a rolling pin.
This method mixes the sugar into the dry ingredients which are then beaten together with the butter. Doing so coats the flour in butter (fat) which prevents the gluten from developing quickly. The remaining wet ingredients are then mixed in. The overall texture from reverse creaming is moist and fluffy.
The most popular cupcake flavors are chocolate and vanilla. This Oreo cupcake recipe has a vanilla cupcake filled with chocolate cookies, topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting with more Oreo cookies mixed in. It’s easy to see why these Oreo cupcakes are so popular!
Other Cupcake Recipes to Try
If you try this Oreo Cupcakes recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking! Happy Baking! -M
Oreo Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 stand mixer with paddle attachment or electric hand mixer with beaters
- 2 12 ct muffin pans
- 1 cupcake liners
- 1 large cookie scoop (3 tablespoons) optional
- 2 cups (240 g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (170 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (118 ml) milk, room temperature
- ½ cup (120 g) sour cream, room temperature
- 1¼ cups crushed Oreos about 12 Oreo cookies
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups (480 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 - 3 tbsp (30 - 45 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup finely crushed Oreos about 10 cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C). Line a 12 ct. muffin pan with cupcake liners. If you have a second muffin pan, line that one with about 6 - 8 more cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together until well combined. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment.2 cups (240 g) all purpose flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 1½ cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- Beat the butter into the dry ingredients until a crumble texture forms.¾ cup (170 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream and milk together until well combined.2 large eggs, room temperature, 2 teaspoon (10 ml) vanilla extract, ½ cup (118 ml) milk, room temperature, ½ cup (120 g) sour cream, room temperature
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry butter crumble mixture until just combined. Do not overmix. Stir in the crushed Oreo cookies.Use a 3 tablespoon sized cookie scoop to scoop the cupcake batter into each of the cupcake liners.1¼ cups crushed Oreos
- Bake the cookies and cream cupcakes for 18 - 20 minutes. The cupcakes are finished baking with the tops spring back quickly when lightly touched. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
- Make the Oreo frosting by creaming the butter on low until smooth and well combined. On low speed, beat in the sugar ½ cup (60 g) at a time, followed by the vanilla extract, salt and heavy cream.1¼ cups unsalted butter, room temperature, 4 cups (480 g) powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 - 3 tablespoon (30 - 45 ml) heavy cream
- Increase the speed to medium - high for about 6 - 8 minutes or until the frosting is to your desired consistency. Stir in the crushed Oreo cookies.1 cup finely crushed Oreos
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes using a 1M star tip or simply spread some on the top like I did. Top the cupcakes with more Oreo cookies if you like.