Smores dip is a quick and easy oven baked s’mores dip made from melted milk chocolate bars and toasted marshmallows. Serve this smores in the oven dessert with graham crackers for that classic and iconic s’mores taste. It’s the perfect summertime treat, no campfire needed.
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I have a few s’mores recipes on the blog that I absolutely love. My S’mores Tahini Cookie Bars, Easy S’mores Truffles, and S’mores Whoopie Pies capture that classic s’mores taste in such fun ways. This smores dip recipe because it’s another fun twist on the classic s’mores I know you’ll love !
- It’s quick, easy and fun to make. This oven smores dip takes less than 10 minutes to assemble and bake. Simply layer milk chocolate such as hershey's bars on the bottom of a skillet pan, top with marshmallows and bake.
- Perfect for entertaining: What I love most about this smores dessert dip is how easy it is to throw together at the last minute. Not only is this chocolate marshmallow dip easy to make, it’s endlessly customizable.
This Oreo dip is made from 3 simple basic pantry ingredients. Here’s what you need to make this oven baked smores dip.
Gather milk chocolate bars, marshmallows and graham crackers.
If you need them, here are my recommended substitutions for this smores dip recipe:
- Hershey’s Chocolate Bars: For the most classic s’mores taste, I love to use Hershey’s chocolate bars. Feel free to use another type of milk chocolate bar for the most classic tasting s’mores dip. If you would like to use chocolate chips, I suggest Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips as they melt more evenly and easily.
- Marshmallows: Feel free to use any regular or jumbo sized marshmallows. I used a jumbo size as that’s what I had in my pantry. Leave regular marshmallows whole. Cut jumbo marshmallows in half.
- Graham Crackers: On to the dippers. I love using graham crackers to dip into the s’mores skillet. There’s something about that particular combination of flavors that feels so happy and nostalgic. Feel free to use any cracker, cookie or fruit for dipping into the gooey chocolate marshmallow dip.
PB and Chocolate Smores Skillet: Add ½ - 1 cup coarsely chopped PB cups or drop ¼ - ½ cup of peanut butter in tablespoon drops on top of the chocolate.
PB + J Smores Skillet Dip: Drop tablespoon sized drops of peanut butter (up to ½ cup) on top of the chocolate bars. Drop teaspoon sized drops of jelly (up to ¼ cup) on top of the chocolate in the spaces between the peanut butter.
Biscoff S’mores Dip: Drop tablespoon sized drops of Biscoff Cookie Butter (up to ½ cup) on top of the chocolate bars. Use Biscoff Butter Cookies for dipping.
How To Make
Let me show you how to make smores dip in a few easy steps. Grab your ingredients and let’s go!
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (281 C) for at least 20 minutes. Grab an 8 - 9 inch (20 - 23 cm) skillet and lightly grease the bottom and sides with butter.
- Line the bottom of the skillet with pieces of milk chocolate bars. If using chocolate chips, pour chips into the bottom of the pan in a single layer. Depending on the size of the pan, this takes about 1 - 1 ½ cups (6 - 9 oz.). Top the chocolate layer with marshmallows. Cut jumbo marshmallows in half. Regular sized marshmallows can be kept whole.
- Bake the s’mores dip in the oven for 5 - 10 minutes. The skillet dip is finished baking when the marshmallows are nice and toasted. Cool the dip about 5 minutes before enjoying with your choice of dippers. I highly suggest graham crackers.
How To Serve, Store and Reheat
Serve this gooey marshmallow chocolate dip with graham crackers for that classic s’mores taste and texture. Fresh fruit such as strawberries or apples, salty dippers such as pretzels or even more cookies such as Nilla Wafers are also a fantastic idea.
Store leftover smores dip: This s’mores dip recipe stores well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat: Transfer the leftover dip into an oven safe container. Reheat to melt the dip at 350 (177 c) for about 3 - 5 minutes.
M’s Expert Tips
- Single layers. It’s super tempting to pile a bunch of delicious ingredients in this oven smores recipe. But, be careful not to layer too many things that don’t easily melt. The marshmallows will become toasted before everything has a chance to melt together.
- Ingredients matter. For this recipe, I found Hershey’s chocolate bars and ghirardelli chocolate chips melted the best. If using another brand of chocolate, it helps to pre-melt the chocolate before topping it with marshmallows.
- Serve warm. This s’mores in the oven dip stays melty and gooey for a while after coming out of the oven, but it will start to harden. Plan to enjoy this dip within 30 minutes of baking. Don’t worry, it’s super easy to remelt the ingredients.
- Have fun. Experiment with the dippers and the combination of ingredients under the marshmallows. Just keep in mind that everything has to melt together and be easy to dip.
S’more is a contraction of two words “some more.” This term first appeared in a cookbook in the 1920’s to describe a chocolate, marshmallows and graham cracker sandwich cookie.
Milk chocolate has a higher cocoa butter fat content than dark chocolate. For this reason, it tends to melt more easily than dark chocolate which is perfect for s’mores. For this smores dip recipe, plan to melt darker chocolate before topping with the marshmallows. Then bake the marshmallows until they are toasted.
If you’re craving something salty and sweet, any kind of chip or cracker works well here. Try potato chips, pretzels, saltines or ritz crackers are all fantastic choices.
More Dessert Dip Recipes to Try
If you try this Smores Dip recipe please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Doing so helps other readers decide if this is a great recipe to bake. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using @olivesnthyme so I can see what you’re baking!
Smores Dip recipe
- 1 8 or 9 inch (20 - 23 cm) baking dish
- 1 tbsp (14 g) butter for greasing the dish
- 6 - 9 oz. (170 - 255 g) milk chocolate bars or chips
- 10 - 12 jumbo marshmallows, halved (20 - 24 regular marshmallows)
- 24 - 36 graham crackers for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (204 C) for at least 20 minutes.
- Grab an 8 - 9 inch (20 - 23 cm) skillet and lightly grease the bottom and sides with butter.1 tablespoon (14 g) butter
- Line the bottom of the skillet with pieces of milk chocolate bars. If using chocolate chips, pour chips into the bottom of the pan in a single layer. Depending on the size of the pan, this takes about 1 - 1 ½ cups (6 - 9 oz.).6 - 9 oz. (170 - 255 g) milk chocolate bars or chips
- Top the chocolate layer with marshmallows. Cut jumbo marshmallows in half. Regular sized marshmallows can be kept whole.10 - 12 jumbo marshmallows, halved
- Bake the s’mores dip in the oven for 5 - 10 minutes. The skillet dip is finished baking when the marshmallows are nice and toasted.
- Cool the dip about 5 - 10 minutes before enjoying with your choice of dippers. I highly suggest graham crackers.24 - 36 graham crackers for serving